CILIP Press ReleaseApril 11, 2012
Over Easter, CILIP put out a press release for Practical Cataloguing:
Practical Cataloguing by Anne Welsh and Sue Batley, provides cataloguers with the skills needed for transition to Resource Description and Access (RDA). The book builds on John Bowman’s highly regarded Essential Cataloguing and gives an introduction to Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR), which provides the conceptual basis for RDA; discusses the differences between AACR2 and RDA; and shows the current state of play in MARC 21.
Shawne D. Miksa said, “Welsh and Batley have given us a fine example of the kind of transitional work needed as we move forward with implementation and practical application of Resource Description and Access. This book offers a simple overview and comparison of RDA and AACR2, as well as discussion of some of the more fundamental issues of FRBR and its role in modernizing library catalogues. Cataloguers new and old should find it an informative read that gently ushers them into understanding the changes on the horizon for bibliographic control.”
Practical Cataloguing is the first book to provide worked examples of RDA and the first to cover RDA alongside AACR2 and MARC21 and will be essential reading for students of library and information studies and practising library and information professionals in all sectors.
Céline Carty said, “A worthy successor to Bowman’s Essential Cataloguing. Practical Cataloguing does exactly what it says on the tin: offers a practical, pragmatic approach to the basics of cataloguing in AACR2, RDA and MARC21 with useful sample records for reference. This book provides a much-needed roadmap to guide novice & experienced cataloguers alike through the acronyms and the changes of the new hybrid cataloguing environment”.
James Williams, Marketing Manager, Facet Publishing
Tel: +44 (0)20 7255 0597
Notes to editors:
1. Practical Cataloguing (March 2012; 224pp; paperback; 978-1-85604-695-4; £44.95) is published by Facet Publishing. It is available from Bookpoint Ltd, Mail Order Dept, 39 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4TD | Tel: +44 (0)1235 827702 | Fax: +44 (0)1235 827703 | Email: email@example.com | Web: www.facetpublishing.co.uk. The book is available in the US and Canada from Neal-Schuman Publishers www.neal-schuman.com
2. Practical Cataloguing is by Anne Welsh, lecturer in Library and Information Studies, University College London and Sue Batley, Course Director for the MA in Information Management, London Metropolitan University
3. Shawne D. Miksa is Acting Associate Director for the Interdisciplinary Information Science Program and Associate Professor in the Department of Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas, USA.
4. Céline Carty is the Cataloguing Team Leader at Cambridge University Library
5. All titles are available at 20% discount to Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals members. Remember to quote your Membership Number if claiming the discount.
6. Facet Publishing, is the commercial publishing and bookselling arm of CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, is the leading publisher of books for library and information professionals worldwide. At the forefront of library and information development, Facet Publishing has a comprehensive list covering all the major areas of professional activity.
7. CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals is the leading professional body for librarians, information specialists and knowledge managers. CILIP’s vision is a fair and economically prosperous society underpinned by literacy, access to information and the transfer of knowledge. CILIP is a registered charity, no. 313014. Visit www.cilip.org.ukfor more information.